Get a Function's Return value When in a Loop

This is probably related to the ‘Getting Wait Cursor to Display’ issue. I have a loop that loads an array that will be a source for a grid. While loading I want to check if a photo exists for the data points in each row of the array. I am using PhoneGap’s File system Plugin. Everything works, but the timing and sequence is off such that the array loads before the photo exists function can return a value for each row. There are two rows evaluated below. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Sub gridDisplay_dataHandler(transaction, result) 
    gLastNumber = 0
    DBRecords=result
    data=[]
    If DBRecords.rows.length > 0 Then
    For i=0 To DBRecords.rows.length-1
      picExists = "No"
      row={}
      record=DBRecords.rows.item(i)
      row["id"] = i;    
      row["DISPLAYNBR"] = record["DisplayNbr"]
      varPicture = Trim(gSelectedBroker) & "-" & Trim(record["Principal"]) & "-" & Trim(gSelectedChainNumber) & "-" & Trim(gSelectedStoreNumber) & "-" & CStr(Year(varDate)) & PhotoMonth & PhotoDay & "-" & CStr(record["DisplayNbr"])
      varPicture = gfolder & "/" &  varPicture & ".jpg"
      console.log(varPicture)   ' correctly Concatenated Line#:5914 
      gfileSystem.root.getFile(varPicture, {create: False}, FileEntryExists, FileEntryFails)

console.log(picExists) ' reads "No"  Line#:  5914
      row["PIC"] = picExists
      data[i] = row 
    Next
    source = {localdata: data, datatype: "array"}
    dataAdapter = new $.jqx.dataAdapter(source)
    NSB.jqxSettings["gridDisplay"].source = dataAdapter
    $("#gridDisplay").jqxGrid(NSB.jqxSettings["gridDisplay"])
    Else
    btnAddDisplay_onclick()       
    End If
End Sub

Function FileEntryExists()
picExists = "Yes"
console.log("I am here in exists:" & picExists)  ' Line#: 5944
End Function

Function FileEntryFails()
picExists = "No"
console.log("I am here in Fails:" & picExists)  ' Line#:5950
End Function
------------------Console.log--------------------------
Android/data/com.nsbasic.Meyes/files/Photos/NY-xBNGF-055-00214-20180130-1.jpg  --- code.js:5909

No  --- code.js:5914 

Android/data/com.nsbasic.Meyes/files/Photos/NY-xBNGF-055-00214-20180130-2.jpg --- code.js:5909

No --- code.js:5914 

Android/data/com.nsbasic.Meyes/files/Photos/NY-xBNGF-055-00214-20180130-3.jpg  ---code.js:5909 

No --- code.js:5914 

I am here in exists:Yes  --- code.js:5944
 I am here in Fails:No  --- code.js:5950

You’re correct: the call to find out if the image exists is asynchronous: it won’t return until after the grid is drawn.

You will need to modify the affected cell in the grid using setcellvalue in your callback functions.

https://www.jqwidgets.com/jquery-widgets-documentation/documentation/jqxgrid/jquery-grid-api.htm

can it be set with cellrenderer function ?

I don’t know - I’m no expert on jqWidgets.

It seems to me cellrenderer is used in the initialization of the grid contents, not subsequent updating.