$.ajax stopped working on Android

$.ajax has stopped working, it used to work in builds with a previous version of AppStudio but not with AppStudio v:8.5.6.0 and Voltbuilder.

Android 5.1.1 = Unexpected token “(”
Android 7.0 - Not working
Android 5.0.2 = Not working
Android 8.1.0 = Works.

Note: it works on all the above Android versions with a debug build but not a release build.

Works fine on iOS.

Any ideas?

Post some code… the unexpected token would imply a typo or parse error of some sort. Did you lent the code?

I’m using FeedEK GitHub - enginkizil/FeedEk: FeedEk jQuery RSS/ATOM Feed Plugin

It’s been working fine for months, I rebuilt the same app with the new AppStudio version and now it doesn’t work, something must have changed in Cordova or VoltBuilder.

Yes no errors.

Unless your app is in basic, it wouldn’t be an AppStudio problem so more likely it the new build engine. Did you try stepping back to the last build engine?

App code is mainly in basic, the rss feed function is javascript inside JavaScript End JavaScript tags.

No, how do step back to the last build engine?

My last build was with the previous version of AppStudio which worked ok. I’m thinking it maybe a cordova issue.

The strange thing is it works if i build a debug version, just not for the release version.
I’ve manage to catch the error:

readyState:0
statusText: error

Sorry if this response gets duplicated. the email response wasn’t clear.

I think the debug mode gives a lot of latitude in the content-security-policy and CORS whereas the release build is very strict. Those $.ajax() calls are gonna be killers if you let the user pick the rss feeds.

I code the feed url as it’s only to display blog posts from my website.

Are you aware of any changes to Cordova which could be blocking the ajax calls?

I tested it with the bluestacks emulator and it works fine there as it does with one of my testing devices on Android 8.1.0, but not on my older devices (5.1.1, 7.0, 5.0.2) ?

Try it with the older engine ala this blog by @ghenne

Ah yes, I did try that before but the build failed.

I just tired it again with

<engine name="android" spec="9.0.0" />

and
<engine name="android" spec="10.1.1" />
which built but same issue re ajax.

Is seems this could be the issue, SSL certificate on https://feed.jquery-plugins.net/

Looks like we have no choice but to drop support for Android OS < 7.1.1