Can not install AppStudio on Mac OS: 10.15.2 (19C57)

I just tried to run AppStudio 8.0.1 on my Macbook with OS 10.15.2 (19C57), but it is blocked with the following message (German):
“AppStudio kann nicht geöffnet werde, da Apple darin nicht nach Schadsoftware suchen kann. Die Software muss aktualisiert werden”

->Can not open, for Apple is not able to search this software for malware. A newer version is required.

When I bypass gatekeeper (following the instructions on How to open apps from unidentified developers on Mac | iMore), there is no error message anymore, but AppStudio quits immediately.

Was a previous version of AppStudio installed? There are some issues when it’s a first time installation. See there other posts. Also, are you aware that AppStudio now is ONLY 64bit? I think that creates also some issues with AppStudio on MacOS

AppStudio has required 64 bit MacOS for some time, so that is not a problem.

Can you try uninstalling, then deleting this file:
~/Library/Preferences/App Studio Preferences

Then try installing again.

Can you try uninstalling, then deleting this file:
~/Library/Preferences/App Studio Preferences
Then try installing again.

Thank you, but this does not help. AppStudio is still blocked. There was no previous version of AppStudio on this Mac.

Here the info from the log file:

com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.nsbasic.appstudio.5228[21187]): Service exited with abnormal code: 1

Hi,
I just upgraded on my Mac, from 7.4.0.6 to 8.0.0.1. I also had some problems first, here’s what I did to solve them:

• uninstall the old version (drag from “Applications” to Trash)
  • download the current version, from the upgrade option (check for updates)
  • install the new version as usual, dragging it from the .dmg file to the “Applications” folder
  • open the “Applications” folder in finder (not a shortcut in the dock!), right-click on AppStudio.app, click “Open”. then the error message as above appears, but there’s a button “open” available. click that.
  • the application seems to do something (jumping up and down in dock) then closes again without really opening
  • but now, I was able to open it normally by clicking on my existing icon in the dock - or by clicking it in “Applications”. My registration info was preserved, so it wasn’t a test/demo version but the full product.

This seems to be a “normal” quirk in the latest MacOS versions - mine is 10.15.2 so it’s up to date.
I’ve seen similar behaviour with other applications.
Thomas

1 Like

I take it you’re on Catalina :stuck_out_tongue: I just upgraded and I’ve seen some really funky things happening with some of my apps. I’ve yet to venture out to the most recent version of AppStudio. I don’t want some of my files to break just yet. I’ll probally install a virtual machine to see how it works or if I feel brave, just jump right in.

Thank you, I also tried this way.
But no chance to get AppStudio 8.0.0.1 running on this Mac !

When I run AppStudio directly from the package contents, the following log results:

/Applications/AppStudio.app/Contents/MacOS/AppStudio ; exit;

10:50:43: Debug: Adding duplicate image handler for ‘Windows bitmap file’

10:50:43: Debug: Adding duplicate image handler for ‘Windows bitmap file’

10:50:43: Debug: Adding duplicate animation handler for ‘1’ type

10:50:43: Debug: Adding duplicate animation handler for ‘2’ type

OnInit returned false, exiting…

logout

Seems to be a bug in AppStudio…

Hi,
you’re right of course - 10.15.2 is Catalina. I prefer to use the version numbers as that also gives the sub-version.
Thomas

1 Like

@Computerhusky, I updated your post to reflect that Check for Updates has the link to the MacOS download again.

These problems seem to be related to the new security requirements of Catalina. In particular, Apple has added a requirement that apps be Notarized, an additional step in creating the installed. It’s on our ToDo list.

1 Like