Cordova GoogleMaps plugin

I’ve seen a few threads referring to this popular plugin but I’ve not been able to get an app to successfully display a map - the best I get is a grey box with the Google logo at the bottom. I created a simple app using a ‘Hello World’ example but still no luck:

document.addEventListener("deviceready", function() {
      var div = document.getElementById("map_canvas");

// Create a Google Maps native view under the map_canvas div.
      var map = plugin.google.maps.Map.getMap(div);

// If you click the button, do something...
      var button = document.getElementById("button");
      button.addEventListener("click", function() {

// Move to the position with animation
        map.animateCamera({
          target: {lat: 37.422359, lng: -122.084344},
          zoom: 17,
          tilt: 60,
          bearing: 140,
          duration: 5000
        });

// Add a maker
        var marker = map.addMarker({
          position: {lat: 37.422359, lng: -122.084344},
          title: "Welecome to \n" +
                 "Cordova GoogleMaps plugin for iOS and Android",
          snippet: "This plugin is awesome!",
          animation: plugin.google.maps.Animation.BOUNCE
        });

// Show the info window
        marker.showInfoWindow();

});

}, false);

Using the remote debugger there are no errors - other than the below issue but that not sure it should have an impact as it seems to just relate to promise support.

DevTools failed to load SourceMap: Could not load content for file:///android_asset/www/plugins/cordova-plugin-googlemaps/www/promise-7.0.4.min.js.map: System error: net::ERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND

I also noticed the following - again not sure if it’s a red herring though:
<noscript __plugindomid="pgm1409028406325"><h1>JavaScript must be enabled!</h1></noscript>

Has anyone successfully used this plugin? Here’s my config.xml settings for the plugin:

<plugin name="cordova-plugin-googlemaps" source="npm"  spec="2.6.0" >
    <variable name="PLAY_SERVICES_VERSION" value="15.0.1" />
    <variable name="ANDROID_SUPPORT_V4_VERSION" value="27.1.1" />  
</plugin>

<preference name="GOOGLE_MAPS_ANDROID_API_KEY" value="[my Google key]" />
    <preference name="GOOGLE_MAPS_IOS_API_KEY" value="[my Google key] />

Seems that sometimes just writing out an issue gets the brain juices flowing again and resolves it - I’d been doing everything in the right way. Just hadnt enabled the Maps Android SDK in Google Console - and then linked my credentials. All now working!

1 Like

I use this plugin all the time. I could never get the 2.7.x version to work but the 2.6.x does.

There are some issues with the plugin. For instance, if you allow the map to be draggable and then scroll the page up or down, you get some really weird stuff (which the plugin developer denies exists).

Also, I no longer include those plugin variables and it doesn’t seem to effect anything.

Have a look at leaflet

Leaflet is a good alternative if you have a postgres sql database to host the openstreetmaps database. You can’t host it in anything else.

This google plugin is really the only viable alternative because if you use googles .js api you have to pay but via their mobile sdk you don’t and this plugin uses the sdk’s and attempts to give us something very similar to the google.maps.js. Mostly it works pretty well but there are serious bugs that the developer just refuses to see/address (plus he has a reputation for being an ass which makes one not want to work with him).

At some point, apple will open up Apple Maps to the mobile world.