Django as backend and AppStudio as frontend

Hello!

I will be going this way:

“Django as backend and AppStudio as frontend”

Any experience to share?

Thanks,

Adrian Nicolaiev

For whatever it is worth: when I get to the back end portion of my project, I will be considering Python and possibly Flask for the back end.

I come from a .NET world, and I could just continue with .NET services. But, I recently had to build an API client quickly, and I had a great experience with Python. We had used Python back in the day for a major factory automation project, and I kind of lost track of it. In the past couple of years, I have been seeing it seem to experience a new life, especially in Data Science, and many Top Programming Language round ups claim it is the most used programming language. So, I will give serious consideration to an all Python back end - establishing REST endpoints and ultimately talking to a SQL Server database.

As an alternative:

Now that AppStudio supports Node, you could also use that as a back end. That would allow you to have JavaScript at both ends, using the same libraries.

Thanks. Good point, and I am considering that as well. I did some node work recently. I wasn’t in love with it for API client work, but I will probably have a different view of it for creating and serving REST API endpoints.

I would go with Web2Py over Django as it is faster to learn and will allow you to rapidly prototype a back-end and database schema in SQL Lite. If you need to run both a local database and back-end database, web2py will build the SQL Lite database for you to copy to your AppStudio/local database. Restful services are automatically done for you as you build CRUD forms and building dedicated Restful services is well documented.

Web2Py is about to have a sister technology, Web3Py, which leverage the lessons from Web2Py and builds dedicated restful services that operate 10X faster but you implement the front end using AppStudio, Vue or some other front end.

Web2Py is plenty scalable as I have written apps handling 1000s of concurrent users and the guidelines for app optimization are very easy and straitforward.