Google Requiring Android 8.0 API level 26 or higher

Just saw this warning when uploading a new version of my app to the Google Play Store:

“Google Play will require that new apps target at least Android 8.0 (API level 26) from August 1, 2018, and that app updates target Android 8.0 from November 1, 2018. This is to ensure apps are built on the latest APIs optimized for security and performance”.

Is there a setting in Config.xml that we can use to target Android 8 as well as adding a minSdkVersion so we don’t loose all those users not yet upgraded to Android 8?

Here’s the line you add to configxml

<preference name="android-minSdkVersion" value="26" />

More here:
http://docs.phonegap.com/phonegap-build/configuring/preferences/#android-minSdkVersion

Thanks George. I’d like to still retain users pre-26 so will this work?:

<preference name="android-minSdkVersion" value="17" />)
<preference name="android-targetSdkVersion" value="26" />)

1 Like

Hi JohnnyLee, Just out of interest did you have to use both lines of code to target both 26 and pre 26 or did the line of code sent from App Studio Support work for both 26 and pre 26?

Thanks

Will

Hi William.
I was still waiting on support to answer my followup question with the 2 lines referring to “minSdkVersion” AND “targetSdkVersion”.

I wish to hold on to pre-26 users if I can while complying with Google’s new “target” requirement.

This isn’t an issue we can comment on authoritatively. We’re not PhoneGap or Google.

If you can’t get definitive information from them, do some experimentation.

Hi there,

Doing some research on this, I found the following article, which is kind of clear.

It seems you can keep the compatibility with the older versions using minsdk. Anyways… as George said… you should need to test it.

This is the article link:

Best regards,
Adrian

JohnnyLee Thanks for getting back o me

Will.

Hi JohnnyLee, I’ve tested

on Android 6 If you were to use ) then obviously the apk does not work. (Won’t let you load it up)

on Android 6 If you were to use both

Then apk loads successfully to device

on Android 8 If you were to use both

Then apk loads successfully to device

I’ve just re-uploaded my apps to google play using the above and have had a successful update to an Android device with Android version 6.0.1.

Will

Thank Will. I had already added to the xml config file and it worked fine.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.