JQM and Bootstrap

We have a rather large APP with multiple forms, mainly developed with JQM

I’d like to start migrating to bootstrap controls but I see the error message warning not to do this for display issues. What might be the impact here, and is it on a form by form basis (having all bootstrap on each form) or does the entire app need to be changed?

You need to do the whole app - form by form won’t work.

There are a couple of reasons (at least!)

1. jQM requires jQuery 2, which has been deprecated. jQuery 3 breaks jQM.
  2. The css styling from jQM and BootStrap are global to your app - but they are incompatible and will screw up each others controls.

@ghenne Didn’t you write a conversion tool for this?

Good point!

https://blog.appstudio.dev/2019/01/something-from-the-labs-framework-converter/

Just saw this after converting my app, control by control, from JQM to BS 4. I did try the Framework converter at the beginning of the conversion, but too many things didn’t work, which is why I did the conversion control by control and form by form.

Once I got down to a couple of JQM text boxes, buttons and a select left I tried Framework converter again. I still ended up with a lot of things that were broken, but after a few hours I was able to repair the broken code and get the app in good shape.

One question: Based on my approach will there be left over JQM junk that could interfere with the BS4 controls? If so, is there a manual way to check for it and clean it up?

You’ll have to look at the code to see if there is leftover junk - there is no simple way to tell. If the controls are all gone, the important stuff is done.

• George Henne

Thanks George. Everything seems to be working fine so far.

Bob